APPLICATIONS DUE BY MAY 1st
Celebration Barn is an incubator for physical theater with an emphasis on collaborative process. Residencies provide artists a retreat from daily demands, allowing them to fully immerse themselves in creating and refining work. Located in the beautiful countryside of western Maine, Celebration Barn’s 44 year history fuels a super-charged atmosphere that encourages artists to play on their creative edge, to be nurtured and challenged by collaborators, and to launch performance in new directions.
Thanks to generous support from the Nolan Family Foundation, the program, including our meal plan, is free for all participants!
Dates: The August Show Incubation Residency will run from August 15-22, 2016.
Who is eligible: Individual artists (age 18+ and at any stage of their career) working with a director/production team and ensembles (with up to 8 members) are encouraged to apply. Accommodations are only provided for those who are creative participants in the project. Up to 3 artists/ensembles may be in residency at one time, depending on the needs of applicants.
Expenses paid by artists: Travel and Bedding
Resources provided by Celebration Barn:
- Private on-site accommodations in single or double-occupancy rooms (for participating artists only; singles as available)
- Delicious, healthy lunches and dinners prepared in buffet style, always with a vegetarian option
- 30’x22’ rehearsal studio
- A shared well-equipped kitchen for breakfast preparation (with industrial fridge, two ovens, two sinks and lots of prep space) and bathrooms
- Shared use of 20’ x 25’ stage with 17’ ceiling height
- Opportunity to share work and process with other artists
- Limited tech support. Be sure to include specific technical requirements in application.
- Wi-fi access
- 11 acres of lush, private fields and forests with amenities including a fire pit, volleyball court, horseshoe pit, and laying hens
- The beautiful historic Paris Hill neighborhood within walking distance
- Local amenities include a large grocery store, public lake access, food co-op, fine dining, and a fantastic cafe, and are within a 15 minute drive in near by villages of South Paris, Norway and Oxford.
- One hour from the closest major airport in Portland (PWM). Feel free to share your travel itinerary with us to see if any ride-share opportunities may be available. Otherwise, we recommend Oxford Hills Taxi (207) 743-7963 for transportation between the airport or bus station and Celebration Barn.
Expectations of the artist:
- Present informal work-in-progress at end of residency
- Help maintain a clean live-work space
- Provide written report describing how this residency served to advance work
- Agreement to provide Celebration Barn visibility on artist’s website, in program for final production, or in other ways (to be agreed on prior to start of residency)
Applications are due May 1, 2016. There is no fee to apply. Notification will go out May 7. To apply, please fill out the application.