April 1st - May 31st, 2014 (There is no reader's fee for plays submitted during these dates)
June 1st - July 1st, 2014 (Require a $10.00 reader's fee)
Plays submitted outside of the above dates will not be considered.
MTWorks’ NewBorn Festival sponsored by the Pyschology Club and Department of the City College of New York is our annual full-length playwriting competition and reading series. We celebrate today’s innovative playwrights that boldly take risks in theme, structure, time-period, location and diversity (ethnic, economic, geographic, gender, sexuality or creed). MTWorks’ mainstage productions are selected from the NewBorn Festival winners.
Finalists automatically enter The Living Room Series, a private cold-read performed by our exceptional MTWorkers.
The winning playwrights will be awarded:
- One full reading of their work in a festival environment.
- Assigned professional director and cast to work on their play.
- “Playwright Spotlight” Newsletter received by over 3,000 members of the NY Theatre Industry.
- Networking "Meet the Playwrights" Event.
- Complimentary tickets to MTWorks shows, invited dress rehearsals and other special events.
- Artistic and professional support from the MTWorks staff.
- Eligibility for the MTWorks Board of Director's Excellence in Playwriting Award.
- Eligibility for MTWorks' Audience Favorite Award.
- MTWorks' mainstage productions are selected from NewBorn.
- Talk-Back Discussions.
We are currently only interested in full-length plays (at least 90min in length).
Applicants must submit the following:
- A full copy of your play in word or pdf format.
- A half (1/2) page synopsis.
- If you applied for NewBorn before, you must submit a different play.
- You can only submit one play per year per program (it is OK to submit one play to FIREWORKS and one play to the National NewBorn Festival the same year).
All material must be emailed (all together in one email) to firstname.lastname@example.org with [NEWBORN: title of the play and your name] on the subject line.
If your contact information changes you are required to update your information by sending an email to email@example.com with [NEWBORN: updated contact information for-your name] on the subject line.
Submission Dates for The National NewBorn Festival:
April 1st - May 31st, 2013 (There is no reader's fee for plays submitted during these dates)
Finalists will be contacted around September. Winners will be contacted around November.